Friday, August 13, 2010

Nobody Saves the Closer

Well, it's Friday the 13th and that can't be good for anybody. But the Mets are coming off another Santana victory, one for which he thankfully needed not one bit of relief. And Beltran finally broke out for three hits or so. But in the long run, losing your closer is not good, especially if he takes himself out of the fray. I won't re-hash he finer details of his violent temper tantrum (which has been widely reported) but from a purely baseball standpoint, the whole thing really stinks.

That sense of entitlement can really screw a person up sometimes. We've seen it with Tiger Woods, Ben Roethlisberger, Santana himself really and now K-Rod.

I remember being very angry at Pedro Martinez when he just shoved the elderly Yankees coach (his name is not coming to me just now) off his feet. So you can imagine how I'm feeling about K-Rod now. What a bum. I won't be wearing his shirt any longer. I don't care how many games he saves. When you beat up your girl friend's father for trying to protect his daughter, you're bad news. Go to jail. Stay there. But forfeit all your money too.

I feel the same about these rapists and all the habitual married womanizers. Get over yourselves. Join the human race.

All that behind me now. I don't know what the Mets'll do in the ninth inning now. They had enough trouble when they were just worried about how to get to K-Rod. Now there'll just be the big void. Oh, and Igarashi too. He may get through some situations but not the lion's share, that's pretty certain. Of course, anything can happen in baseball. I really believe that.

But percentages are against it. Unless he's one of those guys who gets way tougher when the chips are on the line, he just won't have the composure of a closer. I'm laughing as I write that last. How ironic that a guy who shows absolutely no composure in his personal dealings can keep his cool on the mound. Will his recommended anger management classes affect his mound performance negatively? You have to wonder.

But, even more significantly to me as a baseball fan, I won't really be able to even root for him anymore,. And since he is the closer, to root against him is to root against the Mets...very directly. More often than not, it's either K-Rod pumping his fist in the air or another Mets loss. Nobody saves the closer.

No comments: